It’s officially spring! While it doesn’t quite feel like it here in Maine with snow still on the ground, this noodle salad with spring veggies and a punchy Siracha dressing really hits the spot!
I recently had a sit down with my children. Every so often we get into a food rutt. I make the same things, or Luke makes the same things over and over, and we all get burnt out. So knowing that this was happening over the long winter months I sat the kids down to talk food. What do you like? What do we eat too much? I know you guys like salads, if I made a variety of salads would you be willing to give them a try? YES! Whew! Ok, salads it is!
I immediately went to one of my favorite places for veggie foods, 101 Cookbooks. I’ve been a huge fan of Heidi for years and have several of her cookbooks. Beautifully shot images from around the world (appealing to the traveler in me) and delicious foods!
Just a few modifications to the original recipe for the needs of the family and we are all set. I also discovered along the way that although a raw carrot is too much for Foxley to eat at this stage, he loves shredded carrots! So I now keep a small container of shredded carrots in the fridge just for him.
I topped the salads individually with nuts as baby Fox can’t have them but do what works for you. Salad lovers unite!
Original recipe via Heidi Swanson from 101 Cookbooks
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- splash of toasted sesame oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- sweetener to taste, agave nectar / liquid stevia / brown sugar / coconut nectar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 12 ounces firm tofu, sliced into bite-sized slabs (or other protein)
- toasted sesame oil
- fine grain sea salt
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ⅔ cup sliced scallions / green onion
- 2 cups cilantro leaves and stems, lightly chopped
- a big handful of shredded basil
- 1½ cups very finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped pineapple (or other seasonal tart fruit)
- ½ cup salted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons pickled sushi ginger, chopped
- ⅔ cup grated carrots
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- First off, make the dressing. Combine the garlic, avocado oil, toasted sesame oil, and lime juice in a jar. Add your preferred sweetener to taste, a bit at a time, and then add the sriracha until it reaches the desired amount of spicy. Set aside.
- Rub the tofu/protein with a bit of toasted sesame oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and either grill or bake at 350F until nice and golden, ten minutes or so. Set aside. You can do this ahead of time a day ahead if you like.
- Fill a medium sauce pan with water and boil. Remove from heat and add the rice noodles. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain, run under cold water, shaking off any excess, and transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss the noodles with the toasted sesame oil and then add the scallions, cilantro, basil, cabbage, pineapple, and most of the peanuts. Pour about ⅔ of the dressing over the top, and give it all a nice toss. Add the tofu/protein, sushi ginger, carrots, and avocado, decide if you need anymore dressing (and, if so, add it), and gently toss again. Serve topped with the remaining peanuts and with a generous sprinkling of hemp seeds.