Chicken in Almond Sauce
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 bone-less skin-less chicken breasts, cut into two in the middle and pounded flat
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 5 tsp ginger paste
- 5 tsp minced ginger
- 3 tsp coconut oil
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp almond slices
- ½ cup plus 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- ¼ cup onions, sliced
- Mix together egg, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp red chili powder, lemon juice, ginger paste and minced garlic. Flatten out chicken with meat mallet and coat with the mix. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While you are waiting, heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a pan and brown onions.
- Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a pan; shallow fry the chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat.
- For the gravy, grind almonds and ½ cup almond milk in a blender or food processor. You want the almond pieces to be small but still a little chunky.
- Heat 1½ tbsp coconut oil in a pan, add ginger paste and saute for a few seconds. Add the almond-milk mixture and saute. Stir in the remaining salt, red chili powder and white pepper; cook for a few seconds.
- Stir in the browned onions, tomato sauce and 3 tbsp almond milk; cook for 8-10 minutes. Add chicken back to gravy. cook on low until the curry has thickened.
- Remove chicken pieces and place on serving platter; pour gravy on top. Serve hot.